Latest Post

Parents of Chibok girls support military rescue operation even if it leads to deaths.



altPARENTS of the over 200 pupils abducted from Government Girls Secondary School Chibok in Borno State have revealed that they are willing to sacrifice their daughters if it will bring about an end to Boko Haram's reign of terror.

On April 14, the terrorist sect abducted the girls from their boarding school and have held on to them ever since, despite a concerted worldwide appeal for their release. Nigeria's military brass has repeatedly said that it is wary of trying to forcefully free the girls as some of them might lose their lives in such an attack.

However, since the kidnapping, Boko Haram has stepped up its reign of terror across northern Nigeria, abducting girls and women from several other towns and villages. It has also increased it bombing campaign and even totally sacked some towns in Borno State, where it has torn down the Nigerian flag and hoisted its own.

As Nigerians run out of patience with the government's inability to end the insurgency, it appears that the parents of the Chibok girls are prepared to pay the ultimate price to end the endless bloodletting. Parents of the abducted girls have told President Jonathan and the Nigerian Army to go ahead and end Boko Haram, even if it endangers the lives of their daughters.

Apparently, they said they are ready to turn their daughters into sacrificial lambs, if it will end the insurgency and bring about a halt to the terror that Boko Haram has being carrying out. Four months after the captivity of their daughters, the parents are now ready for the military to invade the Sambisa Forest, where the girls are thought to be held, no matter the outcome.

Hosea Tsambido, the chairman of the Chibok community in Abuja, said that he had been in contact with the parents who had given up hope of their daughters returning alive and are only asking that the government return with their bodies so that they can be given proper burials. He stated this in Abuja  during a protest by members of the BringBackOurGirls movement to mark 130 days of their captivity.

Mr Tsambido stated that the Chibok culture requires parents and family members of missing persons to bury their loved ones, if they have been missing for over four months. He added that after three to four months the  families must perform the burial ritual and assume that the persons are dead to enable them move on with their lives.

“Culturally in our area, when our child or a person is missing for three to four months and you do not hear anything about the person, we will arrange for the burial ceremony and to take it as if the person is dead and we will perform the burial ritual and forget about the person and try to forge ahead with life. Now the parents are saying that it is better for them to bring the girls back, even if it means the corpses so that they will bury them properly.

“Let the girls be the sacrificial lambs, that is what they told me. I spoke with them last night on the issue and their opinion is that the  army should go into Sambisa Forest and if some of the girls are saved, die or abscond, so be it than all this trauma that the parents are going through right now," Mr Tsambido added.

Former education minister Oby Ezekwesili, one of the leaders of the Bring Back Our Girls campaign, has asked the government to tell the group and Nigerians what is being done to rescue the girls after 130 days. She added that Nigerians need to know if the government plans to rescue the girls military or intends to secure their release via negotiation.
- See more at: http://www.nigerianwatch.com/news/5149-parents-of-chibok-girls-support-military-rescue-operation-even-if-it-leads-to-deaths#sthash.fsV3LENg.ugZE8ZRt.dpuf
0